Business Counselor II - (STA010333)
Provides information and advice to small business owners on business subjects such as regulations, marketing strategies, financing requirements and potential sources, personnel issues, and so forth, to assist in starting a business, manage a growing business, or turn-around a declining business.
- Provide business consulting services and support on a professional level to small business owners. Support is provided in specialized areas, such as obtaining contracts with federal, state and local governments; enhancing product commercialization and technology; entering or expanding into international trade.
- Advises prospective clients of potential for marketing their product or service; conducts marketing analyses to determine area with best potential for product or service.
- In the area of product development and commercialization, assists in new product feasibility studies, idea protection, market research, preliminary patent and trademark searches, etc.
- Maintains clients' records, reference materials, and prepares special reports.
- Attends public events such as trade shows and business expositions to publicize SBDC programs.
- Attends workshops, seminars and training classes to improve skills related to area of expertise.
- May prepare and make formal presentations to groups concerning small business topics, such as requirements to obtain SBA guaranteed loans.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
Bachelors and 5 years experience
Requires a thorough understanding of both theoretical and practical aspects of an analytical, technical or professional discipline; or the basic knowledge of more than one professional discipline. Knowledge of the discipline is normally obtained through a formal, directly job-related 4 year degree from a college or university or an equivalent in-depth specialized training program that is directly related to the type of work being performed. Requires a minimum of three (3) years of directly job-related experience.
Additional Job Posting Information:
The position will be located and report to the Fort Bend County SBDC and will provide services in Fort Bend County.
-This position is responsible for providing professional business advising services to pre-venture, early stage and growing companies.
-Individual must have strong communication skills and be able to work independently.
-Individual will provide business advising services in areas such as budgeting, financial analysis. marketing research, business plan development, capital access. and other business related areas.
-Individual will engage and help build relationships with stakeholders including the SBA and its resource partners, lenders. Chamber of Commerce. and other community partners.
-Bilingual Spanish and English is preferred as the position will require frequent engagement and interaction
in the Spanish-speaking community.
-Professional experience may include a combination of small business consulting, banking and/or finance. and small business ownership.
-MBA or Master's degree in a related field preferred.
-Proficiency in Microsoft Office, PowerPoint, and Excel is required.
-Frequent travel with the use of a personal vehicle is required. Out of town travel may be required periodically.
-The SBDC program is funded through a cooperative agreement with the U. S. Small Business Administration (SBA) and the State of Texas. The continuation of all SBDC positions are contingent on the continuation of funding from the SBA and the State of Texas at current levels.
This position may be eligible for Alternative Work Arrangements.
- Department is willing to do experience in lieu of education.